Monday, February 16, 2009

Movie Line - Madea - What's in a name?

I turned a tv channel this evening and came across Tyler Perry's Madea Family Reunion. Although I didn't get to see the entire movie, here is a line that I wrote down because I thought it was fairly powerful.

The Grandma (Madea) was talking to her granddaughter about being called names on the bus and at school. Grandma Madea told her something to the effect of the following:

"There will always be people who call you names through life. It ain't what you are called that matters. It is what you answer to."

I like that. Sometimes we forget that we don't have to respond to people that bug, people that degrade and people that generally try to put us down because of their own insecurities.

As I see it we have a few responsibilities - answer to the right names and be sure that we are calling others by the right names. Names that uplift and inspire instead of pull down.

Who would have thought Madea would have the answers? As a wise grandma once said....

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...