Monday, November 17, 2008

Blog Pickle - The Soloist

My friend Harrison dropped off a book at my home this weekend. She said I would love it, and I did. Both of us played the viola in junior high and high school and so that made it especially appealing with the main character being an avid learner of all string instruments.

I am not sure if it was Cracker Barrel, Don Pablos or Silver Diner, but one of these restaurants caused me to have severe headaches and vomiting this weekend. Yes, too much information. But, as a result I was able to lay in bed all weekend and during those times that I couldn't sleep I continued reading the book.

The Soloist is one of those sad stories with glimmers of hope. It is about a talented musician that went to Julliard only to have schizophrenia overtake his pursuits and dreams. He ends up living in the streets of Los Angeles.

The author, Steve Lopez, is touched by the talent of this man that plays his instruments on the street, and ends up spending a couple of years following him, building a relationship with him and trying to help him progress into what most of us call a normal and desirable life (home, food, clothing, mortgage, doctor visits, etc.)

It ends up being a painfully slow journey with many set backs, but you could sense that the author grew as much as the main character, Nathaniel, as he realized that love could go a long way, but that both had their limits as well as their freedom to choose.

For me it was a reminder to continue to help the one. Somehow in helping the one, our individual lives are blessed, we gain more patience and gain a deeper respect and understanding of our purpose in life. All cannot address the masses. All cannot, and should not, go try to save the people overseas or in distant lands. There are plenty amongst us, including ourselves, that need a caring hand that will patiently help us through our own troubled times....even if we don't have a mental illness or extreme disability.

The Soloist is coming out in movie format soon and I plan to go see it. Since the book is about the power of music, I have a feeling that the movie will be able to convey the depth of the book better because it will be key to hear the awe inspiring music instead of just read about it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...